You are here: Home Medical Professional Standards careers Careers Advice Section Applying for Academic Medicine

Applying for Academic Medicine

Pursuing an academic career is possible at any point throughout your foundation or specialty training.  Some academics have even completed their specialty training prior to pursuing a research qualification.

From Medical School, applicants interested in academia can apply for integrated one or two year Foundation Academic Programmes. The recruitment to such vacancies is managed by the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO).  For more information about applying for an academic FP see the FP web pages.

More information about careers in academic medicine see the National Institute of Health Research Integrated Academic Training website.

Academic Careers post Foundation

Opportunities vary depending on the specialty you train in, though research opportunities are available in both primary and secondary care.  Within clinical Specialty Training programmes there may be an opportunity to gain research experience or take time out of programme to undertake a formal research qualification (i.e. MD, PhD).  It is important to remember that any time out of programme must be approved by the postgraduate dean and experience that could count towards a CCT must additionally be approved by GMC.

If you are interested in an academic career in primary care, successful VTS applicants in the Northern Deanery can request an integrated post which incorporates research experience.  Some Deaneries offer formalised academic programmes for general practice and recruit to these posts through the Academic Clinical Fellowship application process.

Within 2010/2011 recruitment, applicants interested in academic programmes submitted applications for academic clinical fellowships in the November of 2010.  Successful application to the ACF posts protected 25% of specialty training time for research and education development, while the other 75% was dedicated to clinical training within the specialty.

Applicants can also apply for Academic/Research Clinical Fellowships at specialty level.  These opportunities are advertised in BMJ Careers.